Since 1993, Gethsemane Lutheran Church has conducted one or two yard sales annually. For some in the community, these sales have earned us the unofficial name of "The Church on the East Side with the Great Yard Sale".
We hold these sales for several reasons:
- Community members can part ways with items that still may be of use to others, saving them from the landfill.
- Community members have the opportunity to obtain items they may need for an affordable price.
- We are able to fund worthwhile causes that serve needs both here and abroad.
- Working the sale is a form of outreach to become better acquainted with our neighbors, who form a richly diverse community.
When are the Sales?
Gethsemane typically conducts two yard sales a year. One takes place in the late spring/early summer, and the other is in the late summer/early fall.
The first sale took place on June 29, 2019, with funds donated to Lutheran Child and Family Services and the Irvington Community Advocacy Network. The second yard sale date is yet to be determined.
What is Sold?
Items are donated by members as well as others in the community.
Inventory includes large amounts of clothing for all ages and sizes. Other items include housewares, books, vinyl records, electronics, furniture, and appliances.
All merchandise is priced affordably. Most of the articles of clothing are priced from 25 cents to a dollar.
Where does the Money Go?
All money raised from the sale of these items are donated to local and global charitable organizations. Past donations have gone to:
- Lutheran Child and Family Services
- Irvington Community Advocacy Network
- Church World Service #GreaterAs1
- Servants at Work, Inc.
In addition to purchases, cash donations may be made at the cashier's booth.
Donation collection, setup, and staffing for the yard sale is handled by an all-volunteer staff.
Food and Beverages
The Funtastics, a social club for adult children of the mentally disabled and their families that meets at Gethsemane, hosts a concession stand featuring grilled items, popcorn, and soft drinks. Money raised at this booth is used to fund their events over the course of the year.
How Can I Help?
You can donate your old unused items. Please consider cleaning out your attics and garages two weeks before the next sale Call the church office at (317) 357-7369 and leave a message to request pick-up of donations or to arrange drop-off.
Another thing you can donate is your time by volunteering with setup or take down. You do not need to be a member to participate.